GSU Alumni Spotlight

Posted On December 5, 2017
Categories News

Alex Tremblay
Ph.D. Biology 2016, GSU
Visiting Assistant Professor and Teaching Fellow in Biology at Oxford College of Emory University

I graduated with my BS in Biology from a small engineering school, Southern Polytechnic State University, which is now a part of Kennesaw State University. Immediately following the completion of my undergraduate education I was employed by two Atlanta-based biotechnology companies, but decided that graduate school was to be my next professional pursuit. I applied to the GSU MS Biology program, and was accepted in 2011. As a returning student, I was eager to find a laboratory in which to perform graduate-level research. I did some research, set up meetings and found a research opportunity in Dr. Yuan Liu’s laboratory. For the next few months I delved into the fascinating study of colitis. Dr. Liu encouraged me to apply for GSU’s Ph.D program, to which I was accepted for Fall 2012. I continued to work as a Graduate Research Assistant throughout my graduate career; however I discovered my passion for teaching undergraduate students when I began my position as a Graduate Teaching Assistant for the Molecular Cell Biology lab. I continued teaching many sections of Molecular Cell Biology from 2012-2015.  In 2015 I expanded my teaching portfolio by becoming a Critical Thinking Through Writing instructor for the Molecular Cell Biology lab course. Following this appointment, I became the Instructor of Record for Biology 1103. During this time, I also used GSU’s Center for Teaching and Learning (CETL) as a resource to help me craft a teaching profile. Through completion of this program I was awarded a Certificate of Excellence in College Teaching.

After graduation, I applied for a competitive teaching fellowship with Emory University’s liberal arts intensive campus Oxford College, and my application was fortunately selected. I believe that the CETL certificate I obtained at GSU was a substantial contributor to me being the successful applicant. In this position professors who have an intense passion for providing an unparalleled undergraduate biology education have mentored me. Furthermore, I have been tutored in liberal arts education principles, and in advanced techniques to improve critical thinking and information retention skills in undergraduate students. At Oxford, I have been responsible for expanding my teaching portfolio to include two levels of genetics courses, a freshman-level introductory biology course, and a research fellowship for undergraduate education.