Provost’s Dissertation Award

Posted On January 31, 2018
Categories News

Joshua Renfroe was born in Atlanta, GA and raised in Los Angeles. After graduating from the University of California, Los Angeles with a BA in Philosophy and minor in Biomedical Research, he returned to Atlanta to study at Georgia State University’s School of Public Health and earn his MPH in epidemiology. Josh’s interest in addressing public health issues through applied research and biotechnology was encouraged in Dr. George Pierce’s lab, where he developed a modular flagellin-based platform for rational vaccine and scalable manufacturing approach as a Masters and PhD student. Josh writes “Georgia State University’s Department of Biology and Applied and Environmental Microbiology, together, foster a collaborative environment for intellectual exploration and innovation, allowing opportunity for high-level engagement in biotech industry and professional development while crafting a unique academic experience”.

This year, Josh was awarded the Provost’s Dissertation Fellowship that supports doctoral students from across the university as they complete their dissertations. Josh writes: “The Provost’s Dissertation Fellowship will allow more freedom for research in lab and place me in a community of PhD students from different departments, who are quickly becoming my friends and colleagues. The mentorship and association of Associate Provost for Graduate Programs, Dr. Armistead, is an extremely valuable resource. Georgia State University is a great environment and during my time on the campus, I have seen incredible leadership, vision, and transformation. Our students are as unique and diverse as our faculty and instructors, and we have many top-notch researchers. I would like to thank my mentors Sidney Crow, George Pierce, Sang-Moo Kang, and Andrew Gewirtz for their support”.