Masters in Biology Medical Science (MBMS) Concentration
Program Description and Objectives
Post baccalaureate students often encounter a “gap year” prior to applying to medical school. Often they need additional coursework and advising to enhance their application and make them more competitive in the selection process. Once they matriculate into medical school, students often struggle with their first year of medical school didactics and wish they had taken key premedical courses beforehand. For these reasons, we are offering a new concentration in Medical Sciences as an alternative to the more traditional non-thesis Masters in Biology track. This option focuses on 1) mastery of specific premedical coursework that simulates first year medical school courses, 2) advisement with the medical school application process, and 3) a capstone course that focuses on internships and clinical research.
The Master of Biology Medical Sciences Program (MBMS) consists of 40 credit hours of relevant courses that teach concepts and skills central to the practice of medicine. Many of the courses are taught using case-based or problem-based instruction methods. Medical schools are adopting case-based instruction methods; therefore, students who complete the MBMS program will have been exposed to this teaching format. Demonstrating success in these courses would further strengthen the credentials of the candidate possibly giving them an advantage over students who only take the minimum required courses set by various medical programs.
Our curriculum has four components:
- 2 CH of Graduate Seminar
- 28 CH of Medical Science Courses
- 6 CH of Broad based Electives in Healthcare Administration and Ethics
- 4 CH of Clinical Internship or Clinical Research
- A minimum GPA of 3.0
- A minimum GRE score in the 40th percentile in all three categories, or a minimum MCAT score of 470.
- Upload Transcripts of past academic performances
- Statement of Purpose
- TOEFL/IELTS scores (International Students only)
- Completion of all of the premed prerequisites required by medical schools:
Biol 2107, 2108, Physics 1111 and 1112, Chem 1211, 1212, 3100, 3110, 3410, and 4600.
- At least three letters of recommendation.
- Select the concentration in Medical Science as your first choice
Complete on Online Application
Incomplete files and/or files submitted after the deadline will not be reviewed.
Deadlines: June 15 for fall enrollment, November 15 for spring enrollment.
Contact the MBMS Advisors below if you have any questions
Co-Director, Dr. Therese Poole, 216 PSC, (404) 413-5339