GSU Alumni Spotlight

Posted On December 5, 2017
Categories News

alex

Alex Tremblay
Ph.D. Biology 2016, GSU
Visiting Assistant Professor and Teaching Fellow in Biology at Oxford College of Emory University

I graduated with my BS in Biology from a small engineering school, Southern Polytechnic State University, which is now a part of Kennesaw State University. Immediately following the completion of my undergraduate education I was employed by two Atlanta-based biotechnology companies, but decided that graduate school was to be my next professional pursuit. I applied to the GSU MS Biology program, and was accepted in 2011. As a returning student, I was eager to find a laboratory in which to perform graduate-level research. I did some research, set up meetings and found a research opportunity in Dr. Yuan Liu’s laboratory. For the next few months I delved into the fascinating study of colitis. Dr. Liu encouraged me to apply for GSU’s Ph.D program, to which I was accepted for Fall 2012. I continued to work as a Graduate Research Assistant throughout my graduate career; however I discovered my passion for teaching undergraduate students when I began my position as a Graduate Teaching Assistant for the Molecular Cell Biology lab. I continued teaching many sections of Molecular Cell Biology from 2012-2015.  In 2015 I expanded my teaching portfolio by becoming a Critical Thinking Through Writing instructor for the Molecular Cell Biology lab course. Following this appointment, I became the Instructor of Record for Biology 1103. During this time, I also used GSU’s Center for Teaching and Learning (CETL) as a resource to help me craft a teaching profile. Through completion of this program I was awarded a Certificate of Excellence in College Teaching.

After graduation, I applied for a competitive teaching fellowship with Emory University’s liberal arts intensive campus Oxford College, and my application was fortunately selected. I believe that the CETL certificate I obtained at GSU was a substantial contributor to me being the successful applicant. In this position professors who have an intense passion for providing an unparalleled undergraduate biology education have mentored me. Furthermore, I have been tutored in liberal arts education principles, and in advanced techniques to improve critical thinking and information retention skills in undergraduate students. At Oxford, I have been responsible for expanding my teaching portfolio to include two levels of genetics courses, a freshman-level introductory biology course, and a research fellowship for undergraduate education.