Undergraduate FAQs


For students with 0-89 credit hours, please contact the University Advisement Center at 404-413-2300 or 404-413-2360, or in person at 25 Park Place (4th and 5th floor).

For students with 90+ credit hours, please visit the Office of Academic Assistance at 404-413-5000, or in person at 25 Park Place (suite 300).

Students seeking pre-med advisement should contact the Office of Academic Assistance at 404-413-5000, or in person at 25 Park Place (suite 300).  More information can be found here:  https://cas.gsu.edu/undergraduate/student-advising/pre-medical-programs/ 
If you are undeclared you will need to go to the University Advisement Center at 25 Park Place. Otherwise you will need to go to the Office of Academic Assistance of your current program.
If you wish to take more than 18 credit hours in one semester, you will need to fill out an “Overload Request form” and submit it to the Office of Academic Assistance, located in 25 Park Place (suite 300), 404-413-5000.
Students do not need to declare a concentration. A concentration is for students who wish to focus on a particular aspect of Biology. It does not appear on your degree but it will appear on your official transcript.
The Biology department can substitute classes from the recommended course offerings for your concentration. Please email Dr. Jessica Parilla, Rm 484 Petit Sciences Center, (404) 413-5440 if you need to have courses substituted.
Many professional programs (specifically medical and dental) request pre-med files. If you would like more information about this, please contact the Office of Academic Assistance, located in 25 Park Place (suite 300), 404-413-5000.  You can also find more information here:  https://cas.gsu.edu/undergraduate/student-advising/pre-medical-programs/

 Yes.  Your instructor should inform you if an SI leader is assigned to your course.  All students are welcome to visit our tutoring center, please check HERE for the current semester schedule.
Please refer to the University Catalog for a breakdown of the degree requirements.  If you are a current student and have further questions about program requirements, please contact your academic advisor.
Please visit the Academic Advisement offices.  A representative there will be able to confirm whether or not you are on track in your degree program.  Additionally, a Course Planner is available to guide you through the Biology degree program.

Contact Information

Dr. Jessica Parilla, Undergraduate Director, (404) 413-5440, room 484 Petit Science Center.
Questions about graduate research assistantships and graduate teaching should be directed to the office of the Graduate Coordinator: 404- 413-5314, 483 Petit Science Center.

 Course Offerings

Click on the title of the class and read the course description. Make sure you have satisfied the prerequisite requirements for the course you are trying to register for. If you have not satisfied the prerequisite requirement, consider registering for the pre-req course(s) instead. If you have satisfied the pre-reqs, but still receive the error, email Jerria McCoy Thompson at jmccoy8@gsu.edu or call her at (404) 413-5305.
Yes. Students who have taken one of our combined lecture/lab courses and did not pass one component must retake the entire course combination.
Yes. Students can receive up to 4 credit hours for off-campus internship experiences. If you would like to have your internship experience evaluated for credit, please contact the Undergraduate Director of the School of Biology. 
There are lots of ways to gain experience in undergraduate research. Visit our page on Undergraduate Research for more information.


You need to speak with the professor teaching the course.
Through PAWS and GoSolar, students can access their “Student Records” tab which opens a menu of options. Select “View Holds” and follow the prompts for how to resolve the hold. If no details are provided, contact Enrollment Services at (404) 413-2600

BIOL 1110K & 1120K:
BIOL 2107K & 2108K: Dr. Matthew Brewer, (404) 413-5344
BIOL 2250/3250/7250: Dr. Carmen Eilertson, (404) 413-5355
BIOL 3810/7810: Dr. Francisco Cruz, (404) 413-5431
BIOL3910/7910: Dr. Robert Maxwell, (404) 413-5342[/item]

You will need to fill out a Transient Request form which is available in the University Advisement Center at 25 Park Place, suites 1300 & 1400.
No.  Students must register for a paired combination of lecture and lab times, and students must attend the lab for which they are registered.
Usually, the XL capacity seats have been designated to another population of students in a crosslisted course in another program or department and are not available to anyone who asks.  The School of Biology checks the capacity in the courses with available XL seats and may release those seats to the sections in demand, if possible.
The School of Biology does not maintain waitlists for closed courses.  Please continue to watch GoSolar to see if a seat becomes available in the course you wish to take.


Students may receive test credit for BIOL1103K and/or 1104K. Please contact the Testing Center at (404) 413-1640 for more information.
You will need to download and submit a transfer of credit form (PDF) with your course description, syllabus and any other pertinent information attached, to be reviewed by the Assistant Undergraduate Director, Dr. Kavita Oommen at koommen1@gsu.edu. Please allow two to three weeks for your request to be processed. Any follow up questions, call her at (404) 413-5442.
As of Spring Semester 2009 the Biology department has adopted the use of plus (+) and minus (-) grades, as a recommended standard for all faculty.

PLEASE BE AWARE : A grade of " B- " is NOT a passing grade for our graduate student courses, neither is " C- " a passing grade for our undergraduate courses. Always be sure to check the course syllabus. Although rare, deviations do sometimes occur from instructor to instructor.

A+= 97% and above; A= 90-96%; A-= 88-89%; B+= 86-87%; B= 80-85%; B-=78-79%

C+= 76-77%; C= 70-75%; C-= 68-69%; D= 60-67%; F= Less than 60%

These grades correspond to the following Grade Quality Points:

A+= 4.30; A= 4.00; A-= 3.7; B+= 3.30; B= 3.00; B-= 2.70

C+= 2.30; C= 2.00; C-= 1.70; D= 1.00; F= 0.00

Visit the University Advisement Center and ask to speak with a transition advisor.  They will help you shift your projection from your current major to Biology.
A minor in Biology requires 15 credit hours of Biology, with at least 9 credits at the 3000/4000 level.  Please see the Undergraduate Catalog for more information about the Biology minor.